Search:
Location Search   Member Search
  Browse   Categories   Games J... » General Games Jou...    

Forum
Forum
Discuss and share thoughts and interests
Page 1 out of 2 | <<<12>>>
Writing a book on the music of geek/gamer culture...your thoughts?

Hey gang. I'm going through the lengthy process of researching and writing a book on the music of geek and gamer culture. Specifically, the book explores nerdcore hip hop, video game cover bands, chiptunes, and the odd and quirky musical happenings that interweave throughout the spaces in-between. There's a strong gaming element that runs throughout each subject. I've done quite a few interviews and have been gathering research for many month. I've got a bit farther to go, but I'd like to pick your brains on the idea behind the project.

I'm curious to get your various perspectives on whether this sounds like the kind of thing you'd like to read and/or buy, as gamers, geeks (using the term affectionately), journalists, and fans of gaming culture? Also, would it be the kind of thing you'd like to write about/review (as journalists)?

Any constructive feedback or thoughts would be helpful. I'll be posting info about the book project and related articles I've written in the near future at my work blog: http://nathanmeunier.wordpress.com/

6 topics   34 posts

First up, - you may have come across these in your research, but...

Chris Abbott & C64 Audio albums, and Back In Time Live events. ^_^

JoyStick Junkies gave out a 2 track Space Invaders Sampler CD...just a couple of dance tunes, that feature samples from the classic arcade game, but the samples were officially licensed from Taito, and the disc published by EMI.

There are some neat YouTube videos of TJ Davis and Richard Jacques performing songs from Sonic R live at a Sonic convention. ;-)

And of course - then there's the internet legend that is "Hey Hey 16K!"....=)

Er...and that's me done. ^_^

Regarding the project - getting a publisher interested would be the real barometer - a book on this subject might make a good Christmas gift for that difficult to please gamer.

That said - my gut reaction, is - why do I want to *read* about music? Conceptually, I'd prefer to read a paragraph, hear a bit of the song in question, read the next para, hear another example, etc - which lends itself to a website, radio show/podcast or possibly a video documentary. Of course, maybe there are some really interesting stories behind the music, that are gripping in themselves, with no need for the audience to hear a specific track to get what is being talked about? A bit like how Game Over was really riveting, giving you insight into the story behind Tetris' success on Gameboy.

Alternatively, you could go down the academic route. There may be demand for a study of music in geek/gamer culture. I particularly enjoyed an academic book by Sarah Thornton called Music, Media, and Subcultural Capital. =) Although I only got into it, as it was on our reading list at Uni. Nonetheless, it presents some key theories on youth cultures and music. ^_^

14 topics   111 posts
ajmetz wrote...

Regarding the project - getting a publisher interested would be the real barometer - a book on this subject might make a good Christmas gift for that difficult to please gamer.

That said - my gut reaction, is - why do I want to *read* about music?

An interesting comment. There are *tons* of books about music that cover it in different ways, and lots of people enjoy reading about music, the act of making music, the history behind various movements, and perspective on the lives and happenings of various artists involved in making music. However, most books on music are not simply about music being described -- essentially a 200 page review, which would be lame -- as they are about the people who make the music, the stories they have to tell, and the scenes they are a part of.

As a geek, a former musician, and a gamer, I've yet to come across one that covers all of the subjects I'm focusing on in mine. It's a series of subjects I'm utterly fascinated about, would love to read more about, and am truly enjoying digging into deeply. A perfect project from my perspective, but not necessarily one everyone is going to want to read about - much like any book.

I'm not particularly worried about finding a publisher, and the audience for such a book exists. I think its much broader than a small sampling of fickle gamers, as you suggests.

Anyhow, thanks for the comments/feedback!

6 topics   34 posts

=) Well there you go then.

As Samus Blackley said at the Edinburgh Interactive Entertainment Festival in 2004:

"Taking a bet on an idea, and a collaboration between people who are passionate about that idea, is generally the best business".

This sounds like it combines your expertise, and you're passionate about it. ;-) So go for it. ^_^

14 topics   111 posts

As someone heavily into the C64 remix scene and having attended many of the Back in Time events, I say go for it!

Get in touch if you'd like more information - from setlists to interviews/reviews.

0 topics   0 posts

As somebody who is in a video game cover band in his spare time, I think this is a great idea. If you want some kind of inside look into things, message me on here, and I'll chat :)

The interesting thing about the game cover band area is that everybody knows the big boys (Minibosses, Powerclove, 1ups, etc) but few are aware of the hundreds of smaller bands there are, many of whom are really, really good...

0 topics   2 posts
APZonerunner wrote...

As somebody who is in a video game cover band in his spare time, I think this is a great idea. If you want some kind of inside look into things, message me on here, and I'll chat :)

The interesting thing about the game cover band area is that everybody knows the big boys (Minibosses, Powerclove, 1ups, etc) but few are aware of the hundreds of smaller bands there are, many of whom are really, really good...

I was aware of the dozen or so bigger bands, but I'm definitely seeking to find out about some of the more obscure and uqiue groups doing game covers to highlight as well. Doing some research, I've come across tons of other smaller bands. Though some are good a lot are doing the same kind of thing as everyone else. I'd definitely be interested in finding bands that offer a unique take on the game cover scene, band, or groups that are different from the pack. Like any bands covering just game boy tunes? etc? Good stuff.

6 topics   34 posts

I wasn't aware that video game cover bands were so common, I can not even name one. 

Neverthless when I should come across this kind of book in the bookstore I would certainly pick it up and if accessibly written, it has a really good chance to end up on my bookshelf. 

Recently I discovered this video from back in 2007 of the Cal U Marching Band performing a show entirely of videogame music, of which the obvious symbols corresponding to the music go with it.

5 topics   52 posts
Bregt wrote...

Recently I discovered this video from back in 2007 of the Cal U Marching Band performing a show entirely of videogame music, of which the obvious symbols corresponding to the music go with it.

That's WAY awesome.

On a related subject, I have a fun feature piece that explores the connection between video gamed and nerdcore hip-hop coming up in the June 2 issue of The Escapist (www.escapistmagazine.com). Eventually, the discussion in the piece will be greatly expanded on and re-worked to form a chapter in the book.

6 topics   34 posts

The Escapist just ran a big story I wrote on the connection between Nerdcore Hip Hop and videogames that will eventually be expanded into a full chapter in the book I'm working on about the music of geek and gamer culture.

Check out the story: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_204/6108-Kickin-It-Nerdcore

Thanks!

6 topics   34 posts
Page 1 out of 2 | <<<12>>>

Moderators: Tom