Search:
Location Search   Member Search
  Browse   Categories   Games J... » Online - Websites    

Forum
Forum
Discuss and share thoughts and interests
Blogs, spice, and you
So I've ponied my way up from freelancer to paying gig (Yay?) but it seems writing for a blog is vastly different from writing for print (No shit Sherlock)

I was wondering, how do people find their voice in the niche of the blog they've carved? I read plenty of blogs and news sites daily in order to cover the news and things going on, and am frequently overwhelmed with the amount of information that I have to sift through.

Do you guys choose a small set of blogs and just use that as your base? Does that limit the types of information you get? For instance, I often find really interesting news on Kill Ten Rats, but not all his stuff is postable. On the flip side, always linking to Kotaku/Joystiq/Destructoid is kinda dumb because if so, why doesn't my reader just go there anyway?

I'm also the sole content writer for the site, and handle quite a bit of backend work as well, so I'm trying to find out how to be more efficient in my workload. Pulling 11, sometimes 12 hour days is par for the course in the industry of course, but not if I don't even get time to squeeze in review gaming time (Not even THINKING about leisure gaming. OMG my copy of Borderlands!) for the site.

Hmm *re-reads his stuff* I guess what I'm asking is:

a) How do you translate your style of writing from print to online? Some people have that magic it seems, like the guys at Destructoid whose writing is quick, funny and witty all the time.
b) How do you manage the information overload?
c) How do you make yourself more efficient in posting?

If you're sideways interested, I work here --> www.gx.com.sg
From what I understood of the site going into it, it's primarily a portal for Singaporean gamers to use to top up their micro-transaction MMO credits via phone bills.

Ergo, my primary source of traffic is actually younger children (Thus requiring fewer posts on M18 and above titles such as GTA, Bayonetta etc) but at the same time, I have to pander to the demographic that *is* reading my site within that age group.

It's also a Singaporean site, and I spoke to Spencer (from SiliconEra) who mentioned the idea of focusing on the fact it's a Singaporean place with the ability to cover Singapore's part in the gaming world. That's great - except even though we have some regional head offices like EA, Ubisoft, etc it's tough to squeeze information out of them. It's actually *faster* if I go to the American/European offices directly (Which is a Bad Thing(TM) for popularity, I know.)

Anyone?

PS: X-Posted this back at the Ning network, since I'm not sure if there are people still on ning who haven't made the move to Gameleon yet.

1 topics   4 posts

Moderators: Tom