Search:
Location Search   Member Search
  Browse   Categories   Games J... » General Games Jou...    

Forum
Forum
Discuss and share thoughts and interests
Page 2 out of 2 | <<<12>>>
Writing a book on the music of geek/gamer culture...your thoughts?
my guess is that the success of your project will depend on the way you write it and the vision you want to share. Do you plan to do something more technical or more narrative?
Both case are interesting but different
cheers guys

5 topics   3 posts
Another thing you could possibly examine is the OC remix scene as well. I think this book could work, you'd have to get your hands on people like Starscream, Nullsleep,etc. This would definitely sell with that crowd, you'd also need some mainstream exposure as well for this book to generate some momentum. I have a ton of ideas, feel free me to hit me up.

0 topics   2 posts
You might also wish to check the Precusors team - a bunch of guys remixing the "Star Control 2" tunes. While we're at it (SC2 music that is), be sure to dig for some information about the Kosmic Free Music Foundation project. There's lots of history to this group and it's rather fascinating. Getting in touch with some members of the Amiga demoscene could be a huge asset when writing a book such as yours. Oh, and by the way - I would definitely buy it, sounds very interesting.

0 topics   2 posts
Chris Scott wrote...
Another thing you could possibly examine is the OC remix scene as well. I think this book could work, you'd have to get your hands on people like Starscream, Nullsleep,etc. This would definitely sell with that crowd, you'd also need some mainstream exposure as well for this book to generate some momentum. I have a ton of ideas, feel free me to hit me up.

Hi Chris, thanks for the input! I'm definitely going to include some discussion of the OC remix scene since it ties in so nicely. Also, I've already interviewed Nullsleep, Glomag, Starscream, Bit Shifter, Coova, Mike Rosenthal (BlipFest/Tank), and a bunch more folks from the NYC chiptune scene about their music, the scene itself, history of the chiptunes, and more, so it's going to be a pretty awesome account of things when I'm able to finish my remaining research and put it all together. I'm in touch with a lot of other chiptune artists from around the US and folks in Japan, Germany, Sweden, etc, and I've also interviewed the creators of Nanoloop and LSDJ. Interviewing dozens of people in each scene is a time consuming process, but the material and quotes I'm getting are solid gold.

Thanks for the feedback/input. Feel free to hit me up at my contact page at www.nathanmeunier.com if you want to chat more about it.

6 topics   34 posts
I have lots of other related features I've written and am continuing to write that tie into the book being, but check out this month's (august 2010) issue of Nintendo Power on the Minibosses 10 year anniversary: http://nathanmeunier.com/2010/07/08/nintendo-power-august-2010-issue-contributions/

In addition to the snippets that appear in the article, I got some great bits from my interview with Aaron Burke about the band that's going to be awesome material for the book. We chatted about the band's history and a bunch of other stuff for about an hour. Awesome guy.

6 topics   34 posts
Hi Nathan, I've published a book myself and the best thing I can say right now is first find a publisher. PM me if you want to hear more details.

Cheers

Neil

1 topics   13 posts
Neil Aldis wrote...
Hi Nathan, I've published a book myself and the best thing I can say right now is first find a publisher. PM me if you want to hear more details.

Cheers

Neil

Thanks for the advice Neil. I've spent the past year and a half conducting interviews, research, and gathering much of what I need to block out the entire book and have things ready to go to make things easier when it comes to hunkering down and writing it. Alongside that effort, I'm currently wrapping up my formal proposal and a few sample chapters that I'll be pitching to publishers. I'm definitely not going to write the thing until I have a contract signed for a publishing deal. Spent a long time also researching the ins and outs of the book publishing industry to make sure I go about things the right way so I don't run into problems. But I appreciate the advice and would definitely love ot chat about your experience. Tell me about your book!

6 topics   34 posts
I believe that your idea is quite interesting there Nathan. I think that I will be one of the people who actually pick it up when it is published.

7 topics   29 posts
Page 2 out of 2 | <<<12>>>

Moderators: Tom