Search:
Location Search   Member Search
  Browse   Categories   Games J... » General Games Jou...    

Forum
Forum
Discuss and share thoughts and interests
Page 2 out of 2 | <<<12>>>
Initial Tricks to Upping Blog Traffic
The domain registration fee is typically between $10 and $15 per year (depending on your registrar), followed by the required hosting package (unless you make your own server, though that is beyond my knowledge). Shared hosting packages typically cost anywhere from $3.50 - $10 /month. I currently host 3 websites, so I am paying about $100 per year. If I chose to host only one website, I would be looking at about $50 / year.

Prices vary, my personal endorsement goes to 1&1, though I have no particular preference.

1 topics   9 posts
Yeah, Wordpress does it at a reasonable price.

Okay, I can muster fifteen bucks.

5 topics   11 posts
I've always found that making any form of feature easier to use, or making it take less time to use, helps to increase people using the feature and thus increases the number of people revisiting.

Linford Butler
Lead Editor, Gamer's Guide to Life.com | linfordbutler@gamersguidetolife.com | http://twitter.com/LinfordB

I'm looking for further videogames, tech or music journo work. I have extensive journo and writing experience and would ideally like paid work or work on a site with large numbers of daily views. Contact me if interested at linfordbutler@gamersguidetolife.com
0 topics   3 posts
Stephen Burke wrote...
On that same note, websites which allow you to publish your own work to appeal to a wider audience are highly useful in grabbing those extra visitors. N4G is one of them, although they have sort of turned into the filth of the industry within a matter of months :/

Other than Gameleon, does anyone know places to promote our features, reviews, and other articles? The more exposure the better ;)
After all my talk of Universal Gaming Database, I cannot believe someone would mention it.

http://ugdb.com is another great site to add your content to. N4G is kinda odd these days, unless your article is about cosplay, a developer bitching, or about something for free it wont get as popular as real news.

1 topics   7 posts
One big tip I would give is to buy a .com domain, or get one through the Wordpress shop. It will help your site expand almost instantly.

Hey Stew! Long time no see! I'd second the above comment. Get a .com through wordpress. Though if you're thinking long-term, you might want your firstnamelastname.com or something.

Also, posting links with snappy headlines on Reddit is a good way to get quick bursts of site hits, but it doesn't necessarily equate to steady traffic after the inital burst.

6 topics   34 posts
I bought a domain through Wordpress.

NewEngGamer.Com.

Now I'm just gonna keep plugging away I suppose.

And yes, N4G blows. I had a couple of hits there last week that led to some really good traffic days, but most of that was just fanboys yelling at me. GameGrep has gotten me more consistent, if lower level traffic and I have posted a few on Digg. I'll try the others you guys mentioned.

I'm not looking to become world famous here, or even make any money (though that would be nice). That said, it would still be cool if people were reading what I was writing you know?

5 topics   11 posts
It's always a big motivator to know that people read your work. Similar to you, I write through my own enjoyment more than anything. I've found that my website makes for a fantastic resume / portfolio (and it has gotten me a few nice jobs), so why not, right?

I'll check out UGDB and GameGrep :)

1 topics   9 posts
After checking out both UGDB and GameGrep, I'm going to have to give it up for GameGrep. The people are much more willing to read features and non-news posts, as opposed to N4G where they are completely disinterested. UGDB lets a lot of garbage through - also similar to N4G - to the point where I kind of have to read the news with "what are their sources?" in the back of my mind.

Perhaps a new thread is in order? One with a list of respectable sites for posting our features/reviews/news.

1 topics   9 posts
 I would suggest for people to try to increase their sphere of influence which will help drive traffic. It would also be recommended that you have an easy domain name thats easy to find. You should also make sure you have quality content. If you have forums you need to make sure they are moderated 

7 topics   29 posts
Page 2 out of 2 | <<<12>>>

Moderators: Tom