Search:
Location Search   Member Search
  Browse   Categories   Games J... » General Games Jou...    

Forum
Forum
Discuss and share thoughts and interests
Page 1 out of 2 | <<<12>>>
Recent Accomplishments
I was thinking recently. You hear so often about how hard it is to break into this career track that it can often be downright disheartening. So I was thinking maybe we could start sharing some of our recent advancements and accomplishments, if only to make things a bit less grim.

Let's see, I can start...

I recently had my first article published at UGO. It was a retrospective on Batman games for the run up to the Arkham Asylum release, which I hope might lead to more work.

A bit cooler on a personal level, I've been reading the video games column at Orson Scott Cards' Intergalactic Medicine Show for years now. I noticed at the beginning of the year that the writer in charge of it had stopped posting and recently I sent them a query concerning possible work. They wrote me back almost immediately and offered me the job. So once a month I'll be doing that which I'm stoked about.

Please share y'all! :)

5 topics   11 posts
Hey - that's great news!
I hadn't heard of the site before, but just googled it, and am browsing it, and some of the past issues now. ^_^.
Will be cool to see your stuff up there.

My latest accomplishment is having a pitch for a seminar at the publishing expo approved by the steering committee last thursday. I've still been told I need to wait for the draft programme to be drawn up first though, so I'm hesitant to say it's in the bag, but so far so good.
Gonna be a seminar about starting a videogames magazine, when everyone else is doing videogame websites, and how will it work, and why it's not committing suicide, lol.
Seriously, it's entitled "Offline success in an Online World" and presents challenges magazines face nowadays, and the potential solutions.

I also had a friend come stay for the past week to help with my business plan. At first, it felt like an accomplishment - getting the good news about the seminar, re-arranging my bedroom furniture to create a home office environment, and welcoming my first "staff"...and the first two days were working 9-5 and then playing videogames in the evening, but I fear as the week went on, it got a bit much, and I have no idea if my friend's coming back to help, or if I've totally scared him off. O_O. ^_^ Heh. Time will tell.

14 topics   111 posts
Good luck with that. I love print magazines and I'd be interested to see hear what ideas you come up with to make one viable in the face of broadening internet news sites.

I always thought it would be good to make print magazines more feature heavy. Features by nature are longer then a lot of stuff on the web and reading them on paper is much more comfortable then reading them off a screen.

5 topics   11 posts
My biggest success so far is landing a debug Wii console after not even two years in the game. From here, I'm looking to get some magazine work going, which is tricky at the best of times. So yeah, not much, but it's a start.

0 topics   20 posts
De-am...never had a debug console before, =), well done.

14 topics   111 posts
Expanding our PR contact list & establishing a relationship with Barrington Harvey, Popcap, Excalibur, Triple Point PR, Legacy Interactive, Media Safari. Not a great deal here at WDT but we launched in June 09. We're attempting to establish relationships with JCPR - Microsoft, Voltage PR - Konami, EA, Sony, Nintendo and Activision, which we plan to have in place come the end of October. That's the theory anyway. Since I started this venture i'm starting to look like John Prescott with badger eyes and minimal sleep.

2 topics   22 posts
Erm...just started/registered a company, =P, United Games Limited, [which means I'm now a company director - ooooh(!) =P],
and also finally got confirmation - I will be giving that seminar at the publishing expo next Feb (24th-25th Feb, Olympia 2, London) afterall, ^_^. Yay!

Gosh. I've still got lots of work to do to make my dreams come true though, =P. ^_^ So I'll try and be extra nice to everyone on Gameleon, just incase I need people's help at some stage, lol.

Take care, everyone, =).

14 topics   111 posts
I guess I'm going to be in an upcoming ish' of The Escapist. That'll be one for the portfolio.

0 topics   11 posts
Just had three reviews run in the Dec. issue of PlayStation: The Official Magazine. So psyched. Also, my first Nintendo Power piece ran in the Nov. issue and I should have something running in each upcoming issue for the next few months. Being a mostly online-writing guy awesome, but it's nice to be doing some print work again.

6 topics   34 posts
I became from editor to content manager from february until now. We have many new contacts with publishers and we have tight crew now that is commited :D

2 topics   72 posts
Page 1 out of 2 | <<<12>>>

Moderators: Tom