Search:
Location Search   Member Search
  Browse   Categories   Games J... » General Games Jou...    

Forum
Forum
Discuss and share thoughts and interests
A how-to book on freelancing in the game journalism industry
Here's a relevant updated re-post from the game journos network: I just want to take your temp folks. I'm considering putting together a short and sweet 100-150 page pocket-sized guide on the ins and outs of freelancing in the gaming industry. I'm not aiming to write an end-all-be-all tome about being a game journalist. There are other folks that are more qualified to wax on about the industry at large. Instead, I want to put together a practical, no-nonsense how-to book that answers a lot of questions, discusses some key topics, and gives some sound advice on what works and what doesn't. The approach will be less step-by-step "dos and don'ts" and more of a narrative discussion focused around different categories and topics.

I get a lot of e-mail from folks with questions on freelancing in the game industry and others seeking advice. I'm totally down with helping people out when I can, but it does take a chunk of time away from work. Hopefully this project will be a stepping stone for folks just starting out and also provide some interesting discussion for those who are already established in the industry.

My plan would be to self-publish it in a portable small pocket-sized book form and possibly an e-book format for people who are afraid of touching pulp in this high-tech age. I'd likely price it somewhere between $10 and $15 for a print edition and under $10 for an e-book. I'd pimp it through my website.

Your thoughts? Would you buy the book/support the project? Also, any specific requests on topics/questions people would like covered? (Constructive feedback would be preferred). Thanks!

6 topics   34 posts
If the book gets some rock solid feedback and at the price point of under $10 for the digital version, I think this pocket-size guide might definitely attract newcomers in the industry. While there is plenty of information on this topic freely available online, a useful reference in this format may very well provide an added value.

Is this book going to be specifically for the US market or are you going for a more worldwide / general approach?

5 topics   52 posts
Well, I'd buy it out of curiousity, but frankly, I'd prefer you didn't write it...to many people who're better than I am doing this already:P

In all seriousness, I'd probably buy it, assuming it was any good.

0 topics   4 posts
I think if you hit it at the right angle it could be good. Using solely your own experiences isn't the way to go though, maybe you should get a few other experienced individuals in to offer their views as well. We've all had different experiences and getting a few successful writers in to help you would make it more interesting.

I like the fact it will be a 'no-nonsense' style guide though. It's the only way to be successful in this industry!

0 topics   20 posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. Still working out how this project will be structured, so the comments are very helpful.

6 topics   34 posts
I think it would be most useful if a great bunch of experienced games journos contributed. But at the same time... well, I'd be cagey about giving away my tips in a publically available book, y'know? I have my own methods of getting work. If everyone else has those as well, then I potentially lose coins.

8 topics   62 posts

Moderators: Tom