Search:
Location Search   Member Search
  Browse   Categories   Games J... » General Games Jou...    

Forum
Forum
Discuss and share thoughts and interests
Page 10 out of 26 | <<<12345 ... 89101112 ... 2223242526>>>
The 'Hello Everyone' Topic
About time I posted really considering I've been registered for months!

I'm Jen. I'm based in sunny Wales in the UK. I currently write for play.tm, XboxGameZone, ThePortableGamer/GamesAreEvil and TheGameReviews.

I've been gaming for about 20 years and been writing for sites for the past 2 years. However, I've been writing for years as rather predictably gaming is my passion and so is writing.

Favourite genre would most definitely be RPGs, and I am a self confessed Final Fantasy VII fanboy/fangirl although I will sometimes grudingly admit that Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 are superior in some ways ;) On a personal level though, Final Fantasy VII will always be the greatest game ever for me, mostly down to nostalgia for my childhood!

Anyway, hello :)

0 topics   5 posts
Hello too.. erm, i keep forgetting to do this too. Never find the time. FF7 you have taste.

Simon Weatherall
Assistant Editor
www.thisismyjoystick.com
3 topics   35 posts
Hey guys. I'm Swaraj and I'm soon to be based in Orange County, California. It's always been a dream of mine to start a community for like-minded gamers, thus a few months ago, I founded MassiveDamage. We're an independent site trying to make it to the big leagues, and we've got a long way to go. We are looking for volunteer writers/bloggers (whatever you wish to call it), so if anyone's interested, send me a pm or email me.

As for me personally, I'm 22 years old, and I've been gaming since I was born (no really!). Ok, not really, but definitely since a few years after I was born. I've owned/played on pretty much every console ever made, and I don't ever plan on stopping. At university, I studied Economics, because at the time, I wasn't so sure my career path would head in this direction. I was preparing myself though (to a certain extent), for a life in video game journalism, by taking several classes in writing, acting, languages (Japanese and French), and the arts in general. I'm obviously not as prepared nor as experienced as most of the other folks on here, but I'm extremely ambitious and determined. Let's hope it pays off in the end.

It's good to be here, and I look forward to getting to know some of the folks on here a little better in the coming months :)

0 topics   2 posts
I'm back :)
Just haven't had the internet for a while, so I'll be cruising around the site again.
Love love love

2 topics   26 posts
Hey guys, great to see all of you. Well I've been playing games ever since I was a kid. Now I'm 26 and not a kid anymore yet still the gaming continues. Back in 2000, my senior year of highschool, I started writing for a freelance site. It was my first big deal. I mostly did reviews for the website but the owner was extremly nice and proffesional and we had a good couple of years.

In the mean time I worked for a Electronic Boutique. I was at the top of my game. I could sell games like the best of them, but not just to sell them. I was a people person. I could find out what genres they enjoyed and recomend them something they would truly like. I had many return customers asking for me by name. Also thanks to my job I was able to attend E3 in 2003 and I had a great time there.

Later I ended up working for etoychest.org which last I heard is now snackbar games. I also then worked for Zentendo for a short period and did video and picture capturing for Capcom Central. Finally, I decided to take a break. When I returned I started with a youtube page and doing videogame walkthroughs and commentary. This lead back to my passion for reviewing games. I then ended up running into a website called Freezecracker.com. From here on out, I've been with them over the last year and have been continuing my youtube page as well. I look to keep my passion and hobby strong, working freelance or professionally one day in the industry.

0 topics   1 posts
Well, Hi folks -

Me, I've been around for ages, so I'll be a bit generic in this intro or else we'll be here all day! Although I had a pretty extensive art background, my first try at writing about games came around 1990 when I sent off a letter to Sega of America asking about maps for Phantasy Star on the Master System. They actually sent a nice little packet along about two weeks later with those maps and a note, and thus began an ongoing correspondence that lasted a few years on and off. I still have most of those letters and thanks to some artwork I sent in, I had a few pieces published in Sega Visions magazine and two issues of EGM.

Not too long afterward, I won an art contest Gamefan had for EA's Haunting game, which netted me a cool leather jacket which still hangs in a closet somewhere. I still hadn't thought about reviewing games, but something creative was brewing...

On a whim, I "officially" started writing around 1998 (three issues of an illustrated, self-published fanzine called "Continue?" which got a few nice write-ups in Tips & Tricks whenever I sent them an issue) before moving onto working in retail at an indie game shop that had a reviews site and later a magazine that ran for a dozen issues.

Between that, I did a few freelance writing jobs, a bunch of artwork for the magazine and eventually quit the retail job to concentrate on writing about games on a regular basis. Since then, I've outlived another website, toiled away at a third site which was a pretty annoying ride from the start (I'll say no more about), written import columns for another web site and indie gaming magazine and did reviews and such for yet another dead site. Spent about a year or so assisting in gaming events at NYC conventions and other locations before going through some pesky health issues (both mine and my dad's) that put me out of the loop for a while. While recovering, I finally decided to settle down and write a blog, which is turning out to a really fun deal all around. Currently working on getting all my old contacts back, which is coming along nicely...

0 topics   3 posts
Hello there,

It's about time that I admit that I'm pretty much a gaming newb. Though I own all three generations of the PlayStation, I haven't played A LOT of games. As an upcoming game journalist, I feel as though playing the older games, especially the ones people cream their pants over, are important for knowing what defines a great game and a horrible game. Due to my extreme lack of gaming experience, I cannot deem myself worthy of the title of "gamer" until I've played and beaten the games I have yet to touch. Too bad there are all these new games I want to play... =(

Anyway, I am a junior/senior college student (this is my third year, but I have enough credits to graduate) and my major is Japanese. I am graduating early because I realized that I was being a coward by denying that I wanted to work in the industry: I was trying to train myself to become a government worker or business woman before pursuing my actual dream. As a result, I am hoping to get a job teaching English in Japan for a year and then I may come back to the states to study English and maybe Journalism or I may begin following the track of game design. Writing has come naturally to me, but because I denied myself the chance to double-degree in Japanese and English, my skills aren't as great as they could be (I would stay in school for the last year, but my parents are paying out-of-pocket, so I'd like to spare them another $22,000).

After much deliberation of which track to follow in the industry (I was debating to become a game designer, game artist, game writer, or game journalist), I've decided that I will focus on game journalism while refining both my writing and my art skills. I currently write for Examiner.com as the Baltimore PlayStation Examiner, and I am also a blogger on my friend's collaborative blogspot page.

0 topics   4 posts
Hello all,
I have been a game programming hobbyist for a few years, and have recently launch an independent game studio called 2Real Games. 2Real Games is a bit of a sister company to 2Real Media. As co-founder of 2Real Media, a web design and hosting shop, I thought the time was right to cover even more interactive media. Our company has been developing games for the iPhone/iPod Touch for a few months now, but as a programmer - PR has turned out to be a very difficult thing. I am hear to network with you fine game journalists and try to spread a little awareness about our company and our games. I have yet to see many game developers around, but I am sure that number will increase as time goes by.

Anyway, it is nice to meet all of you, and I hope to get to know some of you a little better. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about our company or about our games.

0 topics   1 posts
I could have sworn I posted in this thread already. Must be imagining things.

Anyway, I'm Gavin. I'm 24 so this thread makes me feel quite old. I'm a junior at Temple University and a journalism major. I've been freelancing for about four years now but only made video game journalism my focus over the last year. I ran a failure of a webzine for a while and loved it despite not being able to keep any writers but myself around and just started running with it from there. Recently I've started to take my writing more seriously and quit my day job to pursue a career before I finish my degree, just for the hell of it.

I currently write for faceoffgames.com, thegamereviews.com, and honestgamers.com and am enjoying it immensely. Writing fiction is actually my main passion, and if I'm cornered about it I would consider myself more of an artist than a journalist- mostly because I'm a pretentious jackass who very much enjoys the starving artist lifestyle. I think this makes my writing better, but it apparently makes me a pain in the ass to deal with since I don't care about offending publishers, developers, or even gamers with differing opinions than I as much as I care about making sure my vision/point is articulated correctly to the reader.

My favorite game is most likely Chrono Trigger, but that depends on my mood.

Non video game related stuff: I'm a bit of a music dork and up until I felt my "calling" towards video game journalism I mostly did music related stuff. I'm training to be a professional wrestler. I'm collaborating with my significant other on a webcomic that we hope will be the final nail in the coffin of the current zombie entertainment trend. My favorite indie rock band, poet, and philosopher all share the same name; Rainer Maria Rilke. I also like whiskey very much.

0 topics   8 posts
Hello everyone,

My name is Ross Przybylski.  I am a game designer, developer, and manager of my own company, D20Studios, LLC.  We recently finished our first game, Hero Mages- a free, turn-based fantasy strategy game (www.heromages.com) that combines all the fun elements of miniature, card, and social board gaming.

While I'm new to the gaming industry, I have a lot of passion and talent when it comes to making games.  I'm here to socialize and network with the community and learn everything I can.  I look forward to getting to know everyone.

~Ross

2 topics   3 posts
Page 10 out of 26 | <<<12345 ... 89101112 ... 2223242526>>>

Moderators: Tom