Search:
Location Search   Member Search
  Browse   Categories   Games J... » General Games Jou...    

Forum
Forum
Discuss and share thoughts and interests
Page 2 out of 3 | <<<123>>>
What do you prefer? Written reviews or videoreviews
I do Audio Reviews! A whole different challenge!

Great question posed in this forum, though; I'm going with written reviews - seeing as I have extreme problems with concentration - written reviews come with the added bonus of being able to "skim"!

0 topics   2 posts
Video reviews work well because it presents the viewer with a gameplay demonstration, and allows them to evaluate the graphics, presentation, sound and quality for themselves while listening in to the reviewers own opinion. It is the quick way of deciding whether someone may find the game interesting. I believe as generations grow up, people are most likely going to become more lazy, or expecting something more to the point. Video Reviews and Previews succeed here because they present the whole thing quickly and efficiently. However, a much more in depth written review to go along with it is always a nice addition for those who must know all.

0 topics   4 posts
For me, I would normally prefer a video review if the quality is high enough. The issue is, most are just YouTube level where people record some gameplay and then some footage of themselves. I love GameTrailers.com reviews because you get to see a variety of footage, and any issues they have with the game they show you. It also presents with a decent enough idea of how the game plays, so if you're on the fence it helps you figure out if it's really worth it or not.

The downside is that I imagine GameTrailers requires a lot more time and preparation. I wouldn't be surprised if each time they sat down to play they were recording everything, taking notes and probably even marking a time at which something significant happened. Then you need to weed through all of that footage and piece together what you want while also writing the review anyway.

A video review can be a lot better than a written review, but it will inevitably be a lot more hard work. Therefore you can expect it to rarely work out so well. One day I'd love to do a sort of video blog with a mafioso theme (I look like a genuine mobster in a suit), but I'd rather wait until I have a lot of good equipment that will give it a good level of quality.

3 topics   9 posts
I prefer a good written review over a good video review anytime. Why? Because I can read it on my own pace. And my laptop can't go to the toilet. I do watch some gametrailers on my mobile phone during my pitstops, but I don't want to listen to someone going on about why a game is good and why not. I rather read a written review, and then some links to youtube vids where the writer in question can show what he means (by video-taping his game-session ofcourse).

For instance: in Point Lookout the weapons are underpowered. Include a link to some examples and you have a whopping good review imo

1 topics   17 posts
Video-Written combinations seem like the hot ticket. The video should compliment the written material.

0 topics   4 posts
Misha Scholte wrote...
I prefer a good written review over a good video review anytime. Why? Because I can read it on my own pace. And my laptop can't go to the toilet. I do watch some gametrailers on my mobile phone during my pitstops, but I don't want to listen to someone going on about why a game is good and why not. I rather read a written review, and then some links to youtube vids where the writer in question can show what he means (by video-taping his game-session ofcourse).

For instance: in Point Lookout the weapons are underpowered. Include a link to some examples and you have a whopping good review imo

That is a good idea. It was or GameTrailers or IGN that always use actually footage when they want to explain something. Not many (read: 99,9%) sites do that and it's still the best way to explain something, still it's a video review and that's always lesser then a written review. Just implement the Scholte-theory! (Yea, that's right, you got yourself your own theory)

2 topics   72 posts
As it stands now, a good written review is better than a good video review because the video review format is still finding its feet. There's the problem of video capture, the whole "talking head" problem, syncing commentary with what is happening on screen...a good writer has none of these problems, and doesn't require a three person operation to make it work.

Eventually, though, the video people will find a way to make the video review compelling. Look at the reviews in old gaming magazines or websites -- very different in both style and tone from the best stuff we have now.

Of course, as a writer with a face made for radio, I hope text has a few good years left in it.

0 topics   4 posts
You know, this is something I've always been iffy about myself. I've always done written reviews, but being a girl, I'm really nervous about video reviews. This is because I am a little overweight right now and I know just from watching television, that image is everything. So...while I would like to try my hand at video reviews, I think it would help me with my public speaking (I get brain fog, I'm disabled and I lose the words I want to say sometimes). But on the other hand, I don't have that hourglass figure, and the overweight issue I think would turn people off from watching a video review from me =/.

1 topics   2 posts
I never judge people on the way they look or speak, since I can't call myself a supermodel en I stutter sometimes. One day I speak better then Al Gore after a victory and the other day a rapper feels embarrassed around me.

2 topics   72 posts
Actually I find videoreviews more entertaining. But when quality matters, it's all about the good old fashioned 'written review'. And hello bytheway ;)

0 topics   2 posts
Page 2 out of 3 | <<<123>>>

Moderators: Tom