Search:
Location Search   Member Search
  Browse   Categories   Games I... » PR & Marketing    

Forum
Forum
Discuss and share thoughts and interests
Page 1 out of 2 | <<<12>>>
PR Dos and Don'ts

There's a new article on Gamasutra entitled "Game PR and You: A Comprehensive Overview" although it doesn't make clear who the "you" is, nor is it really that comprehensive. Still, it's fairly useful background for why PR exists and what it is trying to achieve.

I wonder how the author's Golden Rules of PR would differ if they were written from a journalist's point of view. What do you think? As a journlist, what are the PR Dos and Don'ts that you wish every PR person would follow? What are the frustrations and issues you face daily that could be remedied?

4 topics   12 posts
Don't: mail a dead fish to reviewers to invite them to a Godfather party!

2 topics   72 posts
Seriously? That really happened?

Reminds me of when I used to work for a direct marketing agency and there was a great story of a client who sent a mail pack that included an alarm clock. Problem was, this was the late 80s and some of them went to Northern Ireland where they were promptly destroyed as potential bombs. Whoops!

4 topics   12 posts
That isn't a really smart movement during that era... But those darn stupid PR sent a dead fish in a box to every site/magazine. Tough, they didn't thought about the fact that fish start to rot when they aren't held in a cold place and that posting takes a while. Time to send a teacher to their think tank.

2 topics   72 posts
Did that really happen?

That's a fucking absurdly brilliant idea. Even better that they rotted. That's awesome. I wish I got the dead fish.

8 topics   62 posts
Link: http://www.insidegamer.nl/members/19595/weblog/4707

If you can read Dutch, or else we still got the photo's :-)

2 topics   72 posts
:) dead fish. I did get sent "suicide pills" once with a game and since I was working in the main sorting office in Belfast in the '80's It was probably one of the many times we got evacuated and had a couple of hours off so thumbs up for the alarm clocks too.
As for the PR's I've never had too many complaints except for when you spend a lot of time covering a title before release and then to be told that they've run out of review units

1 topics   8 posts
Don't: mail a dead fish to reviewers to invite them to a Godfather party!

Don't? That's an absolute DO, I loved it, we played a few pranks with the fish, got a bit smelly, but all in good spirit.

PR don't: call me to ask if I'm gonna publish a press release, if I do, you'll see it on the website. Same with asking linkbacks for every news article I post about a company, would be an extra fultime job for me.

0 topics   1 posts
 Ah, seems someone has already gone to the trouble of creating a whole site dedicated to this idea, although they only seem interested in pushing the "don'ts" and anonymously, at that.

Thanks to Lewis for the link, be sure to read his opinion post.

4 topics   12 posts
 Ah, seems someone has already gone to the trouble of creating a whole site dedicated to this idea, although they only seem interested in pushing the "don'ts" and anonymously, at that.

Thanks to Lewis for the link, be sure to read his opinion post.

Haha! That site is awesome!

2 topics   72 posts
Page 1 out of 2 | <<<12>>>

Moderators: Tom