Search:
Location Search   Member Search
  Browse   Categories   Games J... » General Games Jou...    

Forum
Forum
Discuss and share thoughts and interests
What is the protocol for responding to comments?
Earlier today, I wrote an article breaking down the US sales figures for FF13, and without using any bias (because I personally own a PS3 and 360 and don't play FF13) explained that the sales on the 360 version may be justifying Square Enix's decision to go multi-platform.

Our website always sends our articles to N4G to try to make a new connection to readers and get them to our site. Typically, it falls on deaf ears, until today.

The N4G post exploded with comments, and is now up over 90. Apparently, a fanboy war started with people arguing over the 360 vs. the PlayStation 3. Occasionally, some comments are directed at me, obviously accusing me of being a 360 fanboy myself, something that is extremely laughable considering on our site's podcast, I am always very critical of Microsoft and usually pro-PlayStation. 

Regardless, I am absolutely thrilled with the traffic my article has generated, but feel compelled to clear up the comments making accusations at me. 90% of the comments were posted on N4G, and about 80% of them were not directed at me. Out of the ones posted on our site (yet to be approved), they basically are all directed at me.

The point is, I have no problem shrugging this off and moving on, but I don't know if "real" journalists address these comments directly. I can chalk up the ones on N4G to ridiculous fanboy war that ensued, but I feel compelled to respond to those on our site.

Does anybody have any opinions on this? Any help is greatly appreciated so thanks in advance.

1 topics   0 posts
I know the guys on G4TV always gets comments about him because he takes place of Adam Sessler when he's gone. He thinks it's funny, so he'll comment on it with something like "Sweet! The first post was not where's Adam!"

So you know. That's what he did.

2 topics   10 posts
I'd just comment and blanket-address the lot telling them to stop being so ridiculous, or make a joke out of it, or whatever. Don't come across as brash, but let your stance be known. After that, don't engage them any more - and if anyone writes something really stupid, get rid.

Totally stolen from Jim Rossignol, but: if you engender a community in which idiocy is not tolerated at all, the idiot comments quickly die out.

8 topics   62 posts
The thing about N4G traffic -- or any traffic spike for that matter -- is that it's here today, gone tomorrow. Reply if you feel compelled, but most people won't care either way, and you don't want to get into a flame war with your own readers.

The best time to respond to commenter is when you've seen them before, or when they ask a particular question about the story in question. At least that way, you've made a connection that could translate into a returning visitor.

1 topics   4 posts
I'd not respond at all. It sounds like anyone accusing you of console bias is just projecting their own biases onto your article and not actually paying attention to what you wrote. If they couldn't pay attention the first time, they definitely won't pay attention the second.

0 topics   4 posts
I appreciate traffic that N4G sends to sites like mine (and there are times when it sends a lot), but I've noticed that the community is overwhelmingly pro-Sony. That's not uncommon with such communities. My sense is that GameFAQs is pro-Nintendo and my own site is pro-Microsoft. I think that's natural as communities tend to build around a few vocal folks who tend to have strong preferences. When I get comments saying that I'm a Microsoft fanboy, though, I kind of chuckle because I tend to prefer Sony over Micrsoft these days. I think what that really shows is that people are quick to throw around the "fanboy" label when probably they shouldn't. If you're going to continue writing reviews and features, you're going to need to write something you can stand behind--and it sounds like you have--and you're going to need to have a thick skin. The 'comments' section on nearly any site is destined to turn to fanboy accusations if it's busy enough these days, so you really should just ask yourself what the most productive use of your time really is: responding to accusations that any discerning reader will already know are false... or writing more great material that will continue to engage the intelligent readers that are your target audience?

0 topics   9 posts

Moderators: Tom