Search:
Location Search   Member Search
  Browse   Categories   Games J... » General Games Jou...    

Forum
Forum
Discuss and share thoughts and interests
Page 1 out of 2 | <<<12>>>
Sexuality in Video Games
 When playing your favorite game, do you ever consider the possible sexual orientation of your favorite player character or NPCs? Does it really matter? And if so, does the sexual orientation of the character alter your perspective or enjoyment of the game? Why? Please tell me what you think.

1 topics   1 posts
No, not really. And I don't think most developers consider it when they're making the games. There are a few exceptions of course - The Ballad of Gay Tony is obviously going to feature gay people. And there was that cel shaded game (PS1 I think) where the two girls were partners. Which probably sold it a few extra copies, to be honest.

But, again, I don't think developers keep that in mind. It's an interesting topic though. As for my enjoyment of the game, I don't think it contributes hugely either. That said, there are plenty of good movies that focus on the lives of gay people and how people react to them, or how their life was different, rights movements etc. Could you transpose that sort of thing into a game? I can't think of any that have. Unless it's a heavily story driven game I'm not sure that I see the point either.

And when it comes down to it, it might be risky for a publisher or developer to have a gay character in the spotlight. Unfortunate, but I'd bet a dollar it's true.

2 topics   26 posts
@ Jack Baldwin
I agree in that I don't think developers keep in mind the sexuality of player characters when developing titles. In a big way I don't see where it matters. On the other hand, as journalists we need to be extra careful not to fall into the "if it doesn't matter to me and my peers, it doesn't matter" trap. Easy to fall into if one's not careful.

1 topics   1 posts
I can't imagine this would have any affect on a game unless it is an adult oriented game in the first place. Unless I am missing something when would this ever matter??

0 topics   1 posts
Should I just copy and paste my answer from GamesPress?

No. But basically: it matters because every inch of videogaming currently drips with straight, Western male stereotyping. If you're part of that group, then as Roderick says, it's easy to be blinded to it. But several studies have shown there are huge groups of players who are enormously underrepresented in videogames. This especially includes women and the Phillipino population, but also, to a large degree, homosexuals of both sexes.

Was it KOTOR that allowed a homosexual kiss, but made sure the camera didn't actually show it, whereas it did show all the heterosexual kisses? That's a huge aesthetic statement to make, and a really horrible one. It's of the assumption that people will be repulsed by the notion of homosexuality. Maybe that's true. But either way, there's a big problem rearing its disgusting little head there.

Mass Effect allowed some "girl-on-girl action". Except it didn't: it wussed out and spouted some nonsense about that particular race of alien being technically of neither sex, despite obviously being assigned a female gender role. Again, utter nonsense, the sort of stuff that only breeds more problems.

Wade: I disagree strongly, because... well, look at Mario. The whole premise is "chasing the girl." What if you don't *want* to chase a girl?

And so on.

8 topics   62 posts
Lewis Denby wrote...
 it matters because every inch of videogaming currently drips with straight, Western male stereotyping.

I agree! Bestselling hits revolve around macho pumped-with-steroids heros like Kratos. Exceptions might be jRPGs and Final Fantasy with a dominance of feminime guys but that' s because these games usually sell better on their native market for which they are accustomed.

I think that whole of entertainment industry makes dozens of researches to establish what type of character would potential consumer like to see. And marginal groups usually score low.

P. S. When I qoute someone, how can I be sure that my post won' t be in this qoute box? Edit by Tom: This issue has been fixed!

1 topics   8 posts
Good point about JRPGs actually - they buck the trend. I guess it's more Western stuff, then.

8 topics   62 posts
Can I just state that I have never in all my years questioned the sexual orientation of the marble in Marble Madness but now I come to think of it I reckon it swings both ways…

1 topics   13 posts
I don't think you can say JRPGs buck the trend...They're still about guys chasing girls. It just happens that our definition of a manly man varies a lot in the west. Cloud might look like a twig to us, but he's still go a motorbike and a huge sword. That makes him the manliest of men to some people :P

0 topics   4 posts
I don't think you can say JRPGs buck the trend...They're still about guys chasing girls. It just happens that our definition of a manly man varies a lot in the west. Cloud might look like a twig to us, but he's still go a motorbike and a huge sword. That makes him the manliest of men to some people :P
Ever play Enchanted Arms on the 360 or PS3? Prepare to be confused by a seemingly over the top stereotype... I won't say more than that, but the game can be pretty damn hilarious if you see it the right way...

0 topics   3 posts
Page 1 out of 2 | <<<12>>>

Moderators: Tom