Search:
Location Search   Member Search
  Browse   Categories   Games J... » Online - Websites    

Forum
Forum
Discuss and share thoughts and interests
Arctic Gamer, what do you think?
Hello,

First I should probably do a short introduction of myself. I am the editor in chief (on the swedish site) of a Scandinavian game-network. Arctic Gamer. I been in this buisness for about three years now I think.

Am also the designer of Arctic Gamer and I would like to hear what you think of our design. We had this design for about six months now, and our readers seem to like it. :) But I would really like to hear your opinon, www.arcticgamer.se

Best Regards
Tobias Johansson

1 topics   2 posts
I was hoping someone else would comment on this, but it's been a while now, and still no responses, so I'll chip in....I thought it was weird that on the one hand you had snow on the letters, there was subtle shading on the inside curves of the letters, a nice glowing edge to them, and the blue background faded into white on the right....and yet the bear, by contrast, looked flat and basic. Since you have minor shading on the letters, I'd have expected some shading on the bear to indicate an elbow, or a patch of white extruding onto the black box to indicate a thumb on the joy pad. There's nothing wrong with the bear being plain - many famous logos are plain and simple [ MacDonald's "M" springs to mind]. What struck me as odd was how there were these nice details to the letters, and the background, but not the bear itself. How the letters look slightly raised, whilst the bear is left flat. In an ideal world, I think you'd have both flat and/or simple, or both raised and/or detailed. But it's just an opinion.

The shading in the navigation bar is good, and fits with the logo and the site's colour scheme, and I love the comic strip at the bottom, =).
The rest seems standard fare for websites...headlines, screenshots, standfirsts.
I don't know the language, so can't comment on the content itself, but maybe that's just as well, as I've only had enough time to have a quick glance at the site, and haven't explored it too indepth, so my comments really are just first impressions.

The idea of a polar bear though is cute, ;-).

14 topics   111 posts
The first thing I like about Arctic Gamer is it's name. The name is closely linked with the target group (Scandinavian gamers) and tough I'm not Scandinavian I 'm sure the name will appeal to the target grop. 

I agree with Andrew that the logo could need some more refinement. The design of the whole site feels a little "default" and could need some more finishing touches and refinement as well. There is a lot more you can do with the idea of "Arctic" gamer. 

It seems like Arctic Gamer could use some more team members and editors, as you are the only one in the "About" page (or what I assume is the about page, because I don't speak Scandinavian). It's not easy to build a community from the ground up, so keep up the work ;-)

5 topics   52 posts
Hey,

Thanks for the feedback. We have also realised that the logo needs change so we are actually working on a new better logo. :)

About all the other stuff I'm going to look into it more, work on some design changes that would make it look better.

And last, we are looking for more people to write for us, have interviews the whole next week. :)

Thanks again and if you think of anything else please let me know.

1 topics   2 posts

Moderators: Tom